17.5.09

Adoption Gift Tablerunner

This was such a great gift to make...it is for a family who are officially adopting. They love the colors of India so I found these great fabrics at a local store.

Batik spice color for the sides and back
Debbie Mum 'flower' but it reminded of the mirrors you can find stitched into some embroideries from India...and the colors matched just perfectly!
The open lotus flowers are a cream fabric that had light gold sparkles dusted onto it.
The flowers are a stencil I made by hand of an open lotus flower.

Dimension are appx 14"H x 35"L

I used metallic shiny gold thread throughout and I love the way it sparkles. It was not as hard to work with as I thought and I would very much like to use other colors because it just adds a touch of the shiney stuff that I like to see when fabric moves. Although I would not recommend using it on clothing except for details it is not strong enough to hold in seams that need to stay closed.

On the flowers I hand embroidered the names of each of the family members with a DMC thick floss-I am in love with this thicker floss and will do something with what I have leftover so that I can show you what it looks like up close!

Between and connecting each of the flowers I free stitched green thread the roots/stems of the flower symbolizing the connection of these family members to each other..sniff yes makes me cry and I hope the mama loves it when she sees it today!

I actually finished this last week but my Photobucket account was infected by a virus and I had to fix it which took a day or two. Lucky for me I did not loose any of my pictures. And let me say that I am in love with the FotoFlexer.com software that Photobucket allows you to use for free to edit your images. I just might have to upgrade my account as it makes me so happy!

I can see myself making more of these as really personalized gifts not only to families adopting but to anyone wanting to 'connect' and commemorate their family in an original piece of art... Grandparents, Parents, family reunions, weddings...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)