7.2.10

The post where my superpower becomes readily apparent--pontification powers activate...

Day 53
(this one goes out to you Cristine, you know who you are and it is a label I proudly wear which sometimes requires me to wear a scarf to tie around my mouth....lol)


So while dreaming of Spring and the colors that arrive in our usually brown and sage green with perfect blue skies of Albuquerque....I start my saga....lol


I sit here with a horrible flu and head cold trying to not only hang out with my family but sketch out some ideas for upcoming projects and play online games (sigh I love my video games). Sad that my oldest had to not go to a championship swim meet because she too is gunky but happy because she did not nearly get as sick as me! Apparently going stir crazy and coughing my lungs in bed with a cup of tea, no chores and internet movies is a good time for contemplation. The thoughts running through my head? My business, how do I do it? Do what? Do it, you know uh well EVERYTHING.??? My TODO list is a billion miles long. Everyone looks like they have things under so much control-'they' have projects, advertising, sales, deadlines and book deals galore. Ok so fame and fortune not so much, I am pragmatic that is not a priority, having a fun business where I work hard but reap rewards and get to meet clients that is at the top of my where do I want to go with this business list. Where do I start? Oh every book in the library under 'How To Start A Business' has been checked out by me at least twice-oy thank goodness for libraries who do not charge overdue fines by the day! (I seriously ♥ my local library system.) I look over blogs and websites for daily inspiration wondering how to gain knowledge and still keep my identity. And it is all SO OVERWHELMING.

So I suppose lets start at the beginning or choices, it is all about choices right? Oh and balance, lets not forget the promise of the woman having it all while still maintaning that happy, shiny exterior while deep inside you have no idea if you really do sound like an idiot (hush people who really know me I see you rolling your eyes). I love to create. I love my family. We decided long ago to homeschool. Homeschooling is usually done by one income families-meaning lots of choices about money, lots of calls to bills making arrangements, lots of balancing checkbooks when you only have $20 left to balance and did I mention lots of not so popular choices because well 'everyone else is doing it'. So did this business idea of mine come about because of debts and wanting to put my two cents into the household income? No not really but the more I thought about it the more I realized I could help out. Just maybe if I could bring $200 a month just imagine how much that would help our budget. Could I really show by example the value of hard work to my girls? Starting a business from the ground up with no start up funds and all elbow grease, could it be done? Well I think anything can be done with a little bit of work, ok truth A LOT OF WORK.

Let me talk a wee bit about debts so that you don't misunderstand or perhaps you breathe a sigh of relief because you TOTALLY understand.....our outstanding debts while sometimes overwhelming on our income are laughable when I called a debt management program-'-HA HA' the person on the other end of the phone told me "$20,000 including your car is NOT in debt". Well I realized that is totally screwed up--this was in 2009 when economy was a dark cloud. Why can I not be totally debt free-why do I have to live with credit cards? Well the only credit card we currently own is the debit one attached to the bank. We drive one car with nearly 100,000 miles on it (and so that karma does not gift me one more huge repair for at least 2 more months let me say to the universe that I unabashedly LOVE my car) My husband takes the bus to work in a city where the public transportation sometimes has less horses than the pony express. We shop at Costco, we are the family buying those HUGE bags of rice and beans! So darn it all last year I decided to put a silver lining on that dark cloud and start my business! November 2009 was the month I officially started my business--the doors were opened!

Oh how exciting you say?! AHHHHHH But what to do where to start? I think that by blogging about this experience as I learned it it might not only help me work my way through things-good and bad-but help those of you who want to start your own business realize that most people start with an idea and a bit of luck. But my true hope is that by blogging about my business and my creations I will inspire you to stop and create what does your heart and soul the most good, even if it stays a hobby you really should make every day Momtastic -unless of course you are a dad or uncle or kid or elephant...I dunno but just go ahead and add 'tastic' onto your title....everyone is welcome!


See don't these vintage fabric pants and the pose both strike you as 'tastic' ....now THATS Momtastic ?!

And beware I ramble but it won't hurt a bit....only a few needles through the fingertips....tomorrow a break from blathering with some creative inspiration....cough, cough after I take some good medicine and get some rest....



P.S. and just in case you are wondering why this post is so late or so early because I am getting up to watch the last night-launch of the Space Shuttle Endeavor, there I've outed myself, I am a TOTAL space geek and I am fairly sad to see the end of this monumental program come about with only 5 missions left to go

2 comments:

  1. tabitha!! love learning more and more about you and the rewards of starting your own business!!! Also all the good things on You can make this..they really are cutting edge..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh!!!! Too overwhelming at this time!!! But you are such an inspiration to me... One day... One day...

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)