2.12.10

Thrifting therapy...or the story of pigs, an owl and a seal

Day 125

Yep it has been a good past couple of days. I went for my first job interview in 13 years-gawd I sound old saying that but seriously the last time I worked our computer screens still used a lot of the 'F' keys and were green text with the black screens-you know what I am talking about and if you don't you probably don't remember having a black and white TV set or taking typing in school ON TYPEWRITERS either so yea I have grey hair and you don't, ain't that a kick in the head?!

Anyway, I GOT THE JOB a part-time job but good hours that will work around homeschooling, kid activities, sewing and all the other things we do and hey its a job so in this economy we are grateful.

Thrifting is so much fun and such great therapy-especially when you are looking for clothes for kids who insist on growing quicker than a budget allows-well these past couple of weeks I headed out while the kids were at classes armed with a list that I started keeping of stuff I am really on the lookout for and of course some little things that I wasn't....

Apparently some time in the last 13 years I have acquired a thing for sad, lonely pigs...first it was this bag of plastic porkers designed by David Kirk


then this chipped and dented adorable couple


and this week a tiny, so cute he's ugly chubsy furred porcine critter... I am sure one day I will get sick of them but for now they are happy in their home. I really don't collect stuff like this any more and they have to 'speak to me' as orphans with their chips and dents. As a kid I collected cats and that went on far too long so one day a lady came to a garage sale I was hosting and said 'oh I love this cat knick knack, I collect cats' and so I gifted her the entire box of cat paraphernalia!

We found a dress that fit G1 for the upcoming dance and it has the color she wanted and a good base to recreate it into the look she wants so I can't show a before picture now.

and a CHAIR...FINALLY...I wanted one of these heavy duty ones so this is my Christmas present to myself as it will take the place of my almost falling apart thrifted wooden one-if you have never had the experience of sitting on a chair to have it fall apart under you and then have your family laugh hysterically you have not lived at all.

An owl for my desk with a plastic floral arrangement I decided to leave in as the whole thing just reminded me of my now vintage childhood. Everything old is new again right?

and speaking of vintage G2 discovered a little plastic Bento box that comes apart at the 3 different colors brand new in its box and my everything Japanese fangirl insisted on scooping it up for her room

G2 also discovered this recycled tank dress on the racks with an inappropriate for a 12yo symbol on the front -my eyebrow went up in laughter when she said 'mom I know what that implies and uh it looks cool but I am sure you have something at home that you can cover it up with' LOL indeed

and we did, a vintage seal patch fit perfect, this will be great for a swim suit coverup or jammies, very comfy-love the use of the athletic fabric for the ruffle at the bottom.


I have more thrifting gems to show off but I did not want this to go on too long....gotta get back to sewing December is one busy month! What will you create today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)