5.7.10

Hand Sewing is probably one of my favorite pasttimes...

Day 82

OK I will get it out of the way...I have been bad at blogging. I am enjoying creating and spending family time and basically making any excuse not to blog. Why? no idea....no excuses, just 'cause....so onward and upward.....


OK so my post....I LOVE hand sewing.....anything to do with hand sewing. Whether it be the many types of embroidery, beading, sewing on buttons or even hand sewing quilts and the occasional clothing.

When I go thrifting I often am on the lookout for old thread and embroidery books. Yes, yes I know not to use old thread in the machine but for the most part it works very well for hand sewing. Some of my favorite vintage books are by Erica Wilson and some of my favorite modern inspiration comes from Sublime Stitching , browsing Etsy stores for those 'unknown' but creative artists and when I have time checking out the Hand Embroidery Network for inspiration from around the world.





So of course my creations have a lot of hand sewing included in them....this piece is new and sewing on all those metal washers took F-O-R-E-V-E-R (more on this in a later post)


The new ravens that are a part of my logo were completely designed and hand sewn.....I love how the thread goes over the shiny velvet.

Even sitting and making Yo-yos while waiting on kids to finish their activities is relaxing. I found this pile pre-made out of vintage fabric while thrifting--there was even a huge stack of uncompleted circles in the same fabrics that I am finishing up for a Summer 2011 project.


And how cute is this button I sewed onto my vintage redo for my oldest daughter?


I love to be inspired but rarely follow directions in my hand sewing. I like to go with the flow and let the piece 'speak to me'. Getting frustrated serves no purpose and I figure every mistake only helps to either make the piece unique or I learn and am able to move on the next time!

So go out and create something by hand....don't be intimidated....just do it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)