23.1.12

Mad Scientist Monday #18: Getting back to Nobody

Day 247  Is it too much to ask to get sharks with freakin' laser beams?  Dr. Evil is my Mad Scientist today.  Why?  I dunno, because it is funny, has nothing to do with this post and seems so "irrelevant"......cue the music and dance scene...

  

After nearly a long a wait as Dr. Evil in cold storage I finally got to work on this again.  I can't find the post but last you heard about this altered book was that my precious angel cats had scratched the embroidered felt cover, no crying over ripped stitches.  It gave me a chance to work the piece differently.  This time I went with a duck cloth in grey.  I must have ripped out the stitches 20 times trying to get the borders correct but instead I used a bit of recycled wool from men's pants.  

This is the fake book cover of The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

I did temporarily tack down the strips in places just to keep it straight. I just used a simple embroidery straight stitch around the wool.

I even used a hoop for a while but then it got really hard to use because of the bulk of the stitches.  I am going to keep this idea for the future but use one of those wooden frames instead of a hoop.

I am fairly happy with how it came out being the first time trying this and really winging it.  I consider every project and every stitch to be a learning experience.

It got a little wonky in places but when the center is filled with the picture it will look better.

Unfortunately, I got so obsessed with not letting this border beat me that I didn't work on my weekly TAST so I am going to work on that tonight.  But I just had to tackle it to see if what it looked like finished is what I imagined in my head.

Posts on the evolution of this altered book:
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3
Post 4

What will you create today?

4 comments:

  1. Hello

    I love Dr Evil!

    I have cats who are good at scratching fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still not believe my cats destroyed my embroidery piece, my fault for stitching on felt, my fault for leaving it exposed ugh

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I love taking on a creative challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)