6.1.12

Touch My Stitches #7: The Fly Stitch


Day 236  TAST Week 1 of 52
This weekly post has been lagging behind the others in terms of fun and posting and while I am stitching nearly every day I just couldn't come up with enough inspiration to get this one day's post together every week.  I was reading around the blogs one day and saw the 'Take A Stitch Tuesday' post come up over on Pintangle where she will post a different stitch every week and challenge the participants to learn the stitch or take it further and be creative.  So I signed myself up for 2012, thats right 52 weeks of stitching, lets see if I can keep up, it will be a nice challenge and get my creative stitching juices flowing in the right direction.  I really have learned a lot already just browsing through her website and blog, which is what drew me to the page in the first place.  While the list is closed to join anyone can play along so if you are interested come and join all the fun!  There is also a link in the right sidebar of this blog-->

This week was the Fly stitch.   Now the way I prefer to embroider is to keep it free flowing and loose.  So I dug through my scrap bucket and was immediately drawn to these 3 pieces:  Blue lineny type fabric, cream colored handmade? paper and orange tulle.  Don't ask me why I just don't want to stress about this project so I went with it.

 Using my embroidery scrap thread pile I then loosely stitched them all together in a running stitch.

 And then experimented with a loose fly stitch in a turquoise.  I see almost a beach, water scene here so I randomly placed the stitches along the bottom.

 You can see that I didn't stabilize the tulle and maybe I should have but I despise stabilizer of any kind and I know that I will be putting more sample stitches on it so if that doesn't make it lay better I might add a layer of scrap thin fleece to the back.

Later I decided to add a better example of the fly stitch in a tan color, since I am supposed to be learning the stitch and getting better at it anyway I figured why not do it right at some point.  I am just not a fan of directions I prefer to think of them as guidelines anyway because isn't that what they really are, don't you paint yourself into a corner if you always follow the rules?

What will you create today?

2 comments:

  1. Lovely. Like the paper idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your fly stitches that follow the directions. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)