16.7.10

Inspiration Friday: Art & Books from my childhood II

Day 91

Art and books were a HUGE part of my growing up in the 70s. They were my escapes, they were my best friends. Especially books with beautiful or different illustrations. When I touch these books I am taken back to sitting and lovingly turning the pages just getting lost in the art on the pages.

I can remember reading this one especially over and over. When I went to grab it off the shelves to take a picture I could not find it anywhere--then I asked my youngest and she had taken it into her room while ago and it was lovingly tucked under her stuffed animals on her bed. She said she reads it all the time and that she loves the beautiful pictures.


She said this picture is her favorite. The artist is Frederick Richardson who also illustrated for L. Frank Baum of Oz fame.

Yes this is that same book with my Grandmother and me on her lap at 1yr old probably right after I received it!



Tasha Tudor
This book was illustrated by her and I think it is most likely one of my earliest art influences. My childhood book does not look like this--the binding is pretty much shot because we read through it so frequently over and over and was then passed on to my girls.


Since 1947 to this day many children around the world have been put to bed with the words of Margaret Brown and the art of Clement Hurd


This tops my list of favorite books, by one of my favorite artists Leo Leonni. I think the lessons that Swimmy and his other creatures taught were so simple and touching.

Image Source

Of course not many children of America were without a memory of reading a book by the indomitable Dr. Seuss --Yertle was my favorite story.



To this day my girls and I donate books at all times of the year to children's charities. I feel that a child can lose themselves in a book when bad things are happening around them, a book can be a best friend and we never can know how that one special book will influence their future lives.

I hope that this walk down memory lane has influenced you to check out these artists for your kids if you haven't already.

Now go out and create!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)