31.3.10

Vintage Dolly Dresses & Manga Collaging....

Day 68

Did you know that homeschooling and trying to run a business as well as all the rest of life can be tough? LOL betcha didn't know that?! Huh didja now?! Yea well who's complaining cause its certainly NOT me....anyway Wednesdays are tough for creating in my lair because I am running the girls to classes and errands.

At least we did have a few moments today to run to my favorite thrift store to get some goodies for Easter. And Saturday I hope to hit a few garage sales for a couple of surprises that I can put in their baskets or things that the Easter bunny can leave for them...yes they sort of still believe or at least they like to keep pretending and that is ok with me time enough to grow up and read depressing world news I figure rabbits leaving candy and gifts is harmless fun.

Here are some things that I found in a bag tucked away in a corner of the store...some vintage doll clothes for G2's lovey that she plays dress up with still...sadly the baby dolls have all been nekked and abandoned in favor of their clothes going on her favorite stuffed animal she has had since she was a baby. So I did dolly laundry today and these are ready to be worn...check out some of the vintage fabrics...

I swear my parents dressed me in an outfit out of the same material when I was a kid

the lovey will be ready for football this Fall (he/she does dress appropriately for the season ya know)

and some fancy vintage barrettes just adorable--accessories are a must!

or even a pair of crocheted roller skates for summer fun! I am going to make G2 a little Easter bag to put all these into if I have a few moments tomorrow. That will be one well dressed lovey even if he/she doesn't come out of the house or car any more as she gets older.

I love finding gifts for the girls at thrift stores and garage sales....it is cheaper and I can usually find some really awesome surprises that have more meaning and less packaging than stuff we buy in the store.


So while I did not get to sew today we all created manga (Japanese comic book) collages

There is my girl who has been studying Japanese language half her life already--reading, writing, speaking--she has been teaching herself (with various online resources and texts) at first I thought it wasn't working but now she watches anime in Japanese with no subtitles, writes goofy jokes in Japanese (at least I hope they are goofy jokes) she still has a lot to learn but I am amazed at what she has accomplished this far. She says she wants to go to a Japanese University to do genetics, we'll see what the future brings won't we?! I am supportive of my girls' dreams but I also try to teach them that it is ok if your dream changes or does not turn out exactly how you imagined.

Here is my collage before my name...

and after....isn't every mom's name Mom? I love it and am going to hang it in my creative lair this weekend.

In case you were wondering we merely collaged the background pictures onto the paper then drew letters for our names and colored them onto separate manga pages, cut those out and pasted them on top. Simple and a little messy with the glue but FUN!

The pages were taken from the Shonen Jump manga which G1 gets monthly-all I can say is that I am very happy she is NOT into the manga for girls (blech)--violence, swords, dueling, vampires, blood...THAT I can handle...romantic interludes with hunks of burning comic love can wait till she is older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)