1.11.10

One Tshirt blanket down 1 to finish & some great memorable Tablerunners in the mix

Day 117

Ok so I sat for 11 hours nearly straight hand stitching on the karate belts onto the sides of this Tshirt blanket, I used thick upholstery threads and each side is sewn 4 times in total--for all the effort it was worth it as it really makes the borders nice....I don't have a picture but I left the belt ends to drape over the corners and I don't particularly like the way they look but they had the child's name handwritten by her over the course of her karate 'career' and I just could not bear to cut them off. A mom at the pool came up with the idea of tying some of the belts together at the corners but since they were all different lengths that only worked on a couple of corners-in the end it really did end up looking fabulous and I am totally ready to make more blankets-just no karate belts for a while as my fingertips are bruised and sore lol.

Scratch that, I still have to get through the other one from this client for his son and wait till you see the Godzilla block that I did--A-W-E-S-O-M-E!! Please send me your prayers as I will be wrapping this up today through a horrible asthma episode I am going through...good thing I am doing what I love to do....sewing, sewing, sewing and being creative!!!!

Now I am on the lookout for a used industrial sewing machine that can sew through the thickness of 2 karate belts and a couple of layers of fabric with ease...any suggestions?


And now for an even more creative project in the works--sewing tablerunners as Christmas presents for family members in memory of their Mother, Grandmother and Great-Grandmother who passed away recently--and get this, she was a sewist so I was given lots of notions to embellish each runner individually!

She had LOTS of hankies so I spent a couple of hours with the client choosing colors for each recipient, learning details of this special woman's life and discussing the details of what would really make these beautiful.

Here is just the tip of the bias tape, ricrac, ribbon iceberg....

Buttons and closures galore....yes I will be putting some buttons on these even though they are table runners because of the delicacy of the hankies I am putting on them they will only be for display and not really used for putting things on as the fabrics are really fragile.

....I will even be adding small patches as well as an entire bagful of laces.....


....I love these gifts of memory I have worked on some in the past and there are many happy tears shed when I get to drop them off....

....I have a Halloween post later and some more things to show off.....what will you create today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)