4.2.12

Touch My Stitches #11: Herringbone Stitch

Day 255  Week 5 of 52  5th week of the TAST Challenge and I am having a blast working on this oceanscape piece.  I think it might be finished but we shall see what this next week's surprise stitch before I make final judgement.

This week we worked with the Herringbone Stitch. I was not too sure how to incorporate it into this piece but after some initial sketches in pencil, using the stitch as a guide, I decided to do sea urchins which then turned into anemones because that is what they resembled more when finished.


The tiny anemones are scattered across the ocean floor.  I used back stitches to form the bodies and then tiny Herringbone stitches to make the tentacles. I hope you can see the stitches they were so small and I couldn't get my camera to focus on them well.

After I finished the tentacles I added single stitches in pink, purple or red to give them color in between the Herringbone ones.

I also added small gold colored seed beads to the top parts of the anemone bodies.

I used regular DMC floss in two strands for all the parts of the anemones.

I also finally added eyes to my schools of fish swimming around, in random seed bead colors from my mishmash bead stash as I use up all odds and ends for this project.


This has been a great way to use up all my leftover threads.  I did not know what would happen and had no preconceived plans when I started this project with that first TAST stitch.  Who knew what direction this would take and I am just pleased as punch at where it has gone on its own.

I think I am in love with these anemones the most out of everything on this oceanscape.  I want to make more of them.  It makes me miss the ocean I grew up near.

What will you create today?


Take A Stitch Tuesday (TAST)
Week 1 Fly Stitch
Week 2 Buttonhole Stitch
Week 3 Feather Stitch
Week 4 Cretan Stitch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)