5.3.12

Touch My Stitches #15 : Chevron Stitch

Day 271 Week 6 of 52 of the TAST Challenge.  The Chevron Stitch
(See the end of this post for all my previous links.)

I am behind on my weekly stitches but continuing to challenge myself to finish them and learn more about stitching.  In keeping with my free developing 'Scape series I saw this fabric at the store and knew that it was going to be the background for the next set of stitches.  I know I said I was going to do this all with scrap fabrics but A. It really spoke to me and B. I had a coupon.  It is a printed Duck Cloth, I really like stitching on this fabric because it is a little thicker and well it just works for me.

But with duck cloth you really have to finish the edges because they get all shreddy, especially after washing.  Here I zigzaged the edges and cut them with pinking scissors.

The Chevron was a little more time intensive and a little less free flowing.  I really had to put down not only long straight lines but smaller dashes where the top and bottom T parts would go.

After washing the duck cloth becomes very soft and flowing so it was hard to keep the stitches straight, even with the drawn lines.  Normally, I do not hoop but I tried here it just didn't work out because the stitches were on the edge of the fabric, I didn't have a big enough hoop and the stitches themselves were bigger than I expected in this piece. Perhaps I will investigate getting one of those rectangular frames in the future.

I am not quite sure what this is going to be but I had it in my head that this would be a frame of some kind.  Framing what we shall see as I move on to the next stitch. I would have liked to see these stitched smaller but this is what my hand and head were telling me to do.

You can see all the marks I had to make.  The fabric is soaking and then I will have to dry and iron before moving on to the next stitch because the red pencil marks turned parts of the white thread pink.

I have never worked this stitch before.  I definitely made a few mistakes, these are not as free flowing as some of the other ones.  You have to really concentrate to keep them straight and as even as possible.  I did pick out some of the mistakes but others I left in so in the future I can see where I started from.


Find all the weekly TAST stitches that I have completed HERE.

Take A Stitch Tuesday (TAST)<<--Come check it out and join in!











2 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely fabric - are you going to restrict yourself to white thread only? Sorry if I sound nosy.... I used only one thread - green - in the last challenge and it made it hard to do some of the stitches effectively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah not nosy Diane, I LOVE to chat, especially about creative stuff! I actually was going to use all white. I had it in my head that the finished product might be some sort of Mediterranean blue and white thing but as I was sitting in my office today I spied these vintage wooden spools of red and magenta threads and so I am catching up with the next stitch today using those. I can see how using one color thread, especially white, would have probably gotten me mixed up at some point just going blind trying to figure the stitches out lol.

      Delete

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)