21.3.12

Touch My Stitches #17: What stains? Hand embroidery on a tshirt!

Day 276   I am so proud of this shirt that I just completed hand embroidering.  It had dark stains on it and just was a loss with the already gorgeous embroidery.   I could have used a machine but really I didn't want to take the chance that the machine would catch on the original design and I knew I needed to create something that would cover the stains but not take center stage.

First I went and matched threads to the original colors to incorporate into the new art.  They are Sulky 100% Rayon. I knew at least for the front design that I wanted to use red so it could blend in with the shirt and cover the stain but be in the background.  I used Size 10 Big Eye Quilting needles with a Gold Eye and sharp points. I needed a needle thin enough with a sharp tip to be able to get through without causing huge holes in the knit and it had to be small to work the stitches in small strokes.  May not be for everyone but works for me!

Here is the smaller stain on the side back.

The butterfly and artistic graphics led me in an Asian/Indian direction when I went to search through clip art for a flower that would easily go under the butterfly.  I hit upon a lotus flower and then freehanded this smaller one in white pencil from the larger one I will show you later in this post.  You can see the stain I was covering and the stem started in this picture.

Stitching on knit will cause it to stretch and gather where you don't want it too so I stabilized it on the back with a used unscented dryer sheet ironed flat.  Laying the shirt flat I sprayed basting spray on the dryer sheet and then placed it onto the shirt.  You want to use a larger area of stabilizer than your design to well keep it stable and when you are finished you can carefully cut away down to the size of your design.  I use the dryer sheets because even leaving the bits on the back it will not be scratchy when worn  and will wash/dry along with shirt.

Here it is finished and trimmed down.




I amazed myself with how this came out.  Art does not always go from concept to concrete easily.  And see no stain!  Satin stitching on the outlines with straight stitches sketching out the petals.

Next the larger stain on the front.  I am thinking it was grease of some sort because it was hardened and was difficult to stitch through.

First choosing a design and then the size. I went with the smaller one.

Then to make it easier to sketch out I poked holes at all the points.

Using a fine point sharpie I 'dotted' in each of the pin holes.  And using a white pencil it was a game of connect the dots!  I miss connect the dots.

Then over the white pencil I connected the dots with thin red stitches so be able to follow the design.

Spraying and placing the dryer sheets for stabilizing.  I did more because initially I was going to do a stem all the way down but after working the petals I nixed that idea as too much.

Stabilizer cut and trimmed after finishing.


Here it is!  Red stem stitching with the brownish-green along the bottom as leaves cupping the blossom and then running stitch criss crossed in pink as a sort of lacy center covering the stain and defining the center of the bloom but not taking away from the butterfly. FYI if you want to see the pictures closer because it is damn hard to photograph red on red click on them to make larger.


All in all this took about 40 hours but well worth it because I think it looks stunning and disguised the stain.  GO ahead and call me crazy but I just trust my hands more with delicate work like this, I feel I have more control.

Adding in these pics without flash so you can see the flower better....



So the shirt went from this.....

...to this....

What will you create today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)